Today, we are talking about the 5th most important cereal in the world- Jowar!
Jowar nutrition list is long benefits for the body and can be consumed in many forms! In India, People in rural areas still consume Jowar daily as part of their diets! Wondering how? In the simplest form- Jowar Rotis.
Read on to find out why you should include jowar nutrition in your daily diet:
Benefits of Jowar
High protein Content
Every 100 grams of Jowar provides 11 grams of protein making it ideal for people who want to up their protein intake economically. Just including Jowar rotis in your diet will do so.
Very beneficial for weight loss
It is high in dietary fiber, which keeps you full for longer, and keeps your cravings at bay. Thus, ensuring no cheating in your diet.
Great for Bone Health
Jowar nutrition contains high quantities of magnesium, thus ensuring appropriate levels of calcium in the body. Including Jowar in your diet will ensure good and strong bones.
Good for the Heart
Jowar has cholesterol-lowering properties, reducing the chances of obstructed blood flow and reducing the risk of a heart attack. The antioxidant content and various other beneficial vitamins and minerals help to avoid cardiovascular diseases.
Beneficial for constipation patients
The high fiber content ensures smooth digestion and thus the smooth passing of stools, it keeps the bowel moving thus avoiding constipation. It also helps in other digestive issues such as bloating, diarrhea, and stomach pain.
Helps prevent Cancer
It has antioxidants, which contribute to reducing oxidative stress and the presence of free radicals that are the possible cause of inflammation in the body. This helps in reducing various types of cancer.
Controls blood glucose levels
Jowar nutrition helps in keeping the blood glucose levels stable as it is a complex carbohydrate that takes time to digest in the body meaning It is a low GI good, considered great for Diabetic patients.
Facilitates injury healing
The vitamin K and vitamin C content in Jowar provide anti-inflammatory and wound healing properties, thus helping in quickly healing wounds and injuries.
How to consume Jowar
The easiest way to add Jowar to your diet is by making jowar Bhakris or Roti.
You can also make various mouth-watering dishes like
- Jowar Bhakri
And to make your Way to jowar easier, we have got an Indian Jowar recipe for you- “Palak jowar ke appe”
These are easy and quick to make, very healthy for you, have high iron and protein content, and can also be had by people on diets.
Can be had for- Breakfast, Snacks
- Take a bowl, add a cup of jowar flour, and 1/2 bowl of chopped palak, add one spoon of ginger paste,1 tablespoon of green chili paste or chopped chilies, and salt as per taste.
- (To make your app colorful, you can also add other chopped veggies like chopped carrots, onion, capsicum, etc in the first step)
- Now add 3/4th cup of water and mix well.
- Take an appe mold, and grease it with oil so the appe doesn’t stick to the surface, using a brush of your fingers.
- Now pour the batter into the molds
- Now spread add some oil on the top of appe, and turn the appe after they have turned golden brown from the down.
- Cook until they turn the same color from the bottom.
- Now take them off and repeat the steps to make another batch of palak appe.
Serve hot with fresh green chutney!
Do you know?
Jowar is Gluten- Free! Making it a great substitute for wheat for Gluten intolerant people, people suffering from celiac disease, or people following gluten-free diets!
Jowar Nutrition Facts (per 100 grams)
- Jowar has 359 calories per 100gms.
- It is rich in dietary fiber (6.6 grams), rich in protein content (8.4 grams).
- It has a long list of vitamins and minerals such as – Iron, Potassium, magnesium, copper, selenium, phosphorus, manganese, Zinc, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Riboflavin, Thiamine, Niacin, Pantothenic acid, Vitamin K which are all beneficial and essential for the body!
Do you need more reasons to incorporate Jowar nutrition into your diet? It’s healthy, easy on the pocket, easily available, and safe to eat daily!